Personal Information Collection Statement
This policy sets out how Carstory.com.au Pty Ltd (Car Story) collect, use, disclose and manage your personal information.
What personal information is collected?
Personal information collected by Car Story will depend on the circumstances of collection and on the services that we are providing to you and may include:
- identification details, which may include name, birth date, security questions and answers;
- contact information which may include email address and mobile phone number;
- bank account and credit account details;
- user IDs and passwords;
- services provided to you, including saved items and searches
- information about the devices on which you visit Car Story, and your activities on those devices or sites;
- records and content of communications with Car Story or any other person including;
- if you participate in any surveys we, or a third party service provider acting on our behalf, may conduct from time to time, personal information relating to your survey responses;
- if you are applying for employment with us, personal information that is relevant to such employment; and
- information obtained as a result of your use of our mobile website or application such as geo-locations and unique device identifiers.
Please note that any records and content provided in hard copy format may be stored and scanned electronically by Car Story.
Car Story does not collect sensitive information as defined in the Privacy Act, such as racial or ethnicity information, political opinions or associations, criminal records (save where provided by law enforcement authorities) or health information. However, subject to obtaining your prior consent, Car Story may collect sensitive information from you in the course of considering an application for employment.
How is personal information collected?
Car Story collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you when you provide information directly to Car Story in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise), for example when you purchase goods or services from Car Story; when you enter a competition or promotion conducted by Car Story, or in a contract with your business to provide you with our services;
- directly from you when you communicate with Car Story;
- from third parties such as resellers of Car Story services and service providers to Car Story;
- operators of linked or served web sites, applications and advertising on Car Story;
- from 3rd party data providers and other entities where you have directed or otherwise consented to the collecting entity (or a service provider on its behalf) sending us data.
How is personal information used?
More specifically, your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to maintain appropriate business records;
- to research, develop, improve and use within Car Story products and services and by its outsourced service providers to provide and improve their services;
- to respond to an enquiry or provide our services, products or assistance that you request from us;
- to pre-populate / customise / provide shortcuts on our websites;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction of our services;
- to generate statistics;
- for the purposes of feedback, reviews and ratings;
- to promote and market special offers and other services to you;
- for staff training and quality assurance;
- where consented it will be provided to our partners so that they can contact you about their services.
How is personal information disclosed?
Car Story may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than Car Story. The organisations to which we may disclose personal information include:
- Car Story companies and staff;
- Partners of Car Story that you agree to provide your contact details to in exchange for a free report;
- outsourced service providers who assist any of the above persons to provide services;
If you do not want Car Story to disclose your personal information to these individuals and organisations, you should not submit an enquiry or acquire those services.
- outsourced service providers who assist Car Story to provide its services including:
- information technology providers;
- marketing and market research advisers and survey providers;
- professional advisers;
- data service providers, who may also disclose your personal information to our third party partners for the purpose of personalising the advertising you receive from us and them;
- payment platforms.
- entities to whom you request we send your information;
- resellers of Car Story services;
- organisations involved in a sale/transfer of a Car Story company or related entity or any of its assets, business or shares;
- to assist government or regulatory authorities or police; and
- as we are required by law, for example pursuant to a subpoena or in accordance with unclaimed money legislation.
Where Car Story discloses your personal information to a data service provider, Car Story will take all reasonable steps to ensure those data service providers comply at all times with the Privacy Act and the APPs.
How to access your personal information
You generally have a right to access your personal information, subject to a few exceptions provided by law. If you wish to access your personal information please contact us by clicking here. Please remember to provide as much detail as you can as this will help us to find the information. Generally, there will be no charge for this service, however you may be required to verify your identity before any information is released to you. Depending on the volume, type or method of access to the information you request, Car Story may charge you some fees, however, these will not be excessive and will not apply to the making of the request. Please note that depending on the volume or nature of the information required, it may take a number of days to fulfil the request.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, Car Story may not be able to provide you with the full range of Car Story services.
When using the Car Story mobile application, we may request permission to collect your location from your device via the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you consent to the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the location settings on your mobile device. However, this may limit your ability to use certain features of our services.
Car Story Sites, Linked Sites and personal information
When you visit a the Car Story website, Car Story records anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring url, and other referral information, device information and location, carrier, site interactions such as your access to website features, pages accessed, content, searching activities, lead submission, and files accessed and downloaded, type of browser and operating system. Such information collected by Car Story may be linked to other information Car Story hold about a user, compiling a complete profile about Car Story users’ browsing, purchasing and other activities. This data may be used by Car Story to categorise a user and provide personalised offers, marketing and advertising. Activity data may be shared with advertisers for these purposes where the user is already a customer of the advertiser.
Car Story may use third party advertising companies to collect data and/or serve ads when you visit a website on Car Story. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to websites and other media in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, visit http://networkadvertising.org/.
Car Story uses "cookie" and other methods to collect and store the information set out above. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (this may be as little as 30 days or up 2 years or longer in some cases).
Cookies may be used by Car Story or by service providers engaged by Car Story to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the pages you visit on the Car Story sites, measure and analyse usage of Car Story sites for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to Car Story. Cookie data and other data may be sold, licensed or otherwise provided to third parties via advertising exchanges or other data sharing platforms for this purpose. You may adjust your Internet browser settings to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled Car Story may not be able to provide you with the full range of Car Story services.
Car Story uses Google Analytics cookies to record visitor behaviour on the Car Story website. This information may be used together with other third party cookies such as Google advertising cookies and other personal information you may have already provided to us (or we have received from a third party with your consent) in order to personalise the advertising that you see on and off Car Story. The Google Analytics Advertising Features used by Car Story are called Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. You can opt out of these by visiting Google Analytics’ site here.
What if I have a problem?
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
Email: Click here to contact us by email
Car Story treats complaints relating to privacy extremely seriously. If you submit a concern or complaint, we will endeavour to deal with it comprehensively and reach an outcome with which all parties are satisfied. If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint (after providing us with a reasonable time to respond) or would like further information about privacy in Australia, then we suggest you contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website.
How this policy changes
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.
Last Updated 8 Feb 2021